... let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. Hebrews 12:1-2 (excerpt)

Monday, September 15, 2008

A New First

It happened today...Samantha got her first official phone call from a friend. The good news...it was a girl. The bad news....it has begun. One of the girls in her class lives just around the corner and wanted Samantha to come and play. We just had too much tonight - it was the first night of Religious Ed for Samantha. I answered the phone and this little voice asked for Samantha and it caught me so off guard; I asked who was calling and she told me. I gave the phone to Samantha and told her who it was. Then Samantha answered her with "Maybe another time." Then they hung up. I called the Mom back just to make sure it wasn't misunderstood and that Samantha really did want to play, but we couldn't. It was too funny. She seems to be making a lot of friends and "blossoming" socially - which I'm very happy to see her having fun with lots of different people. We went to the Back to School Bash a few weeks ago and it was just me and her. She is a lot like me. She kind of hung back a little and took it all in and checked it out and then she started seeing people she knew and once that happened she took off and was playing and didn't want to leave. That is exactly how it worked for me that night too. I gradually started seeing people I recognized and talked to some that I knew just a little - so it was good for both of us to broaden our social circles a little more. Thanks for listening. I have pictures from Valerie's first day of school I'll try to get out here soon. Bad news here - I am working on the second week of not working out. Took Valerie to the doc last Monday, Samantha got off the bus Monday with a fever so everyone stayed home. Then Veronica had a fever again on Friday so we were back at the docs and she is finishing up a round of antibiotics. Valerie had a fever today so she has started on them as well. Maybe next week all will be healthy enough for the Y and I won't be sick. UGH!

No comments: