This is about surviving the day to day and raising three girls. And the occasional musings about life and the world.
... let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. Hebrews 12:1-2 (excerpt)
Monday, April 14, 2008
How Old am I?
So - went on Spring Break last week to my parents' in Kentucky. Great trip, Samantha got some one on one time and the girls all got to ride horses. Today it was back to the grind - school, housework, working out etc.
I had seen an ad a few weeks ago through our parks and rec about an "antique roadshow" bring one item and have it looked at. I have a typewriter that was my Grandmother's that I've always wondered about so I decided to go. It was free so why not? I had to take Veronica since the older two had swim lessons. So I load Veronica and my 20 pound typewriter into the car and drive to the train station where this is being held. At this point I need to tell you the organization that is hosting this...the 55+ club. I didn't realize that meant I was supposed to be 55+. I walked into the room and realized it wasn't at all what I thought and wanted to turn around and go home. But I had managed to get Veronica and the typewriter into the building without injuring myself, I decided to stay. I sat myself in a corner and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible with my typewriter and active daughter. A gentleman from the newspaper came over and interviewed me. He wanted to know the story with the typewriter. So I told him where I got it, how old I thought it was, how long I'd had it etc. Todd asked why he talked to me and I decided it was because I looked the most uncomfortable. Oh well - I missed my opportunity though. He asked how old I was and I should have told him 55 and that Veronica was my granddaughter and don't I look damn good? I didn't though - I could barely remember how old I really am. I sat there for an hour and listened to the experts talk about the different items people brought in - nothing really stellar. One guy had a bookend that could be worth anywhere from 2000-20,000, but the expert needed to do more research. Finally they get to my typewriter. I'm guessing maybe $100 optimistically - I have seen similar items and know they aren't that uncommon. I was still a little disappointed to hear only $30-$50. But he did comment on how good of condition it is in and you can tell it isn't sitting in an attic or barn - I felt good about that. I do have it out on display - why have it, if you aren't going to put it out? So - I lugged my typewriter to the car and came home. Oh well - it does have me intrigued about other items. Maybe next time I'll put on a wig or something so I don't stand out so much. I'll have to check the paper tomorrow and see if I'm mentioned at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment